Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgiving Memories

My favorite Thanksgiving memory was visiting the home of some friends in East Texas which is filled with pine trees. The air was European in that it was cold and drizzly ( I love that, by the way) and the smell of pine and horses was everywhere. I explored the woods and found old blue and brown bottles from an era long before. The glass sparkled like jewels and I did feel like treasure had been found. We jumped for HOURS on a massive trampoline..shooting for the tops of the trees with every jump. Laughing, feeding horses, telling stories, eating..and breakfast in the morning included venison in some way..which I also love. Makes me harken back to a time long ago filled with kings, fine ladies and courtly love. Romantic. Funny, right?Those were the best times. Full of fall colors, laughter, singing, horses, the smell of leaves burning, fires in the fire place (especially fragrant with pecan wood), and the cold, drizzly outdoor freshness. Great memories. Fantastic.

So, I want to hear from you. I want to feel as if I'm spending a special thanksgiving in the banks of your memories. Make it come alive for me now...I really want to walk with you. Bad or good. Special or painful. Believe me, most holidays with our family had an argument or two and someone was almost ALWAYS sick!! But there were those really good times too..so take me with you...

2 comments:

WBbenny said...

While more like a story than a comment, here is a snapshot from my memory bank.

Growing up in Minnesota as the oldest of 3 siblings, I have memories my younger brother and sister don't recall. This is one of them.

It was thanksgiving day, the year i don't recall, but It must have been after my parents split because my mother was not along for the ride. We piled into my dads 1976 LTD II, it was canary yellow, and he always had the trunk over loaded with supplies and tools, so the headlights would blind on comming traffic.

We headed off to Sleepy Eye,MN to have dinner with cousins, my Dad's oldest sisters house Aunt Teresa, and it should have been a 3 hour drive.

The snow was falling when we left, but by the time we were on the highway visibility was limited, but at least the oncoming traffic was no longer flashing the high beams at us.

The snow was flying sideways, my dad was patiently driving along, what seemed to be a snails pace as we were literally breaking trail in a least 6" of new fallen snow. I don't know how my dad even kept the car on the road.

My brother and sister were getting restless in the back, fighting and needing to go to the bathroom, when there was no place in sight to stop.

Necessity eventually forced us to go on the side of the road, while by dad did his best to shield us from the wind, and protect our modesty with his coat.

Pulling over began to be routine to clear snow that would accumulate on the side of the car, so my dad could see out. The drivers side would build up 2" of snow and we would stop and he would brush it off.

The trip took 6 hours, we were late for dinner and the family was worried, but not so much that they didn't already start eating without us. There was plenty left to enjoy, I was just glad to be out of the car.

deidre said...

Wow. I was tense reading about the snow. I've never been through snow like that; here in Texas, it was more about ICE. One evening ride home from work (thank goodness my little one went to school near work at that time) and icestorm came through, and it took me 3.5 hours to get home that day. And I only lived 26 miles from work.

Thanks for sharing!